tue 8 am to 8 pm
strawberries and raspberries
Please don't send emails we are to busy to answer them . We will update this page facebook ,twitter and our phones regularly
looking forward to this season and may God bless
join us on twitter or facebook for faster updates
we now have clean flush toilets &
hand washing station
soft ice cream
train ride at petting zoo
WE accept CASH,CHEQUE, INTERACT,VISA,MASTERCARD.
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
SAT 8 to 6,
When berries are available
U-pick Strawberries $12.00/pail .U-pick raspberries are $4.50 per pound. Always call the farm for picking times at 204-467-8480 or 204-467-9557 . We are not open if we are all picked out. Please go to facebook or twitter for instant up dates. Only 4 liter ice cream pails or our free baskets can be used on our farm.
Sorry we don't always have time to answer your e-mail or phone questions during berry season.
Good dogs on a leash are allowed on our farm if you clean up after them.
Pre-picked strawberries are $18 per pail first come first serve and available Mon to Sat from 8am to 6pm.
- Grasp the stem just above the berry between the forefinger and the thumbnail and pull with a slight twisting motion.
- With the stem broken about one half-inch from the berry, allow it to roll into the palm of your hand.
- Repeat these operations using both hands until each holds 3 or 4 berries.
- Carefully place- donít throw- the fruit into your containers. Repeat the picking process with both hands until your container is full.
Hi to all the fantastic employees at Boonstra Farms!
We had an absolutely fantastic day at your farm today. The berry picking was just so fun along with perfect weather. Picked both strawberries and raspberries. Loved the Christian radio station that was on. Fantastic experience! Thank you to all the staff who were both very welcoming and helpful. A perfect family outing!
We also loved the petting zoo!
The Horning Family, Taisa, Emma and Alex from Winnipeg
Whether you pick the strawberries from your garden or here at our farm, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Be careful that your feet and knees do not damage plants or fruit in or along the edge of the rows. Here at Boonstra Farms, it is important that you pick only on the row assigned to you & please move your flag to where you finish picking.
- We furnish berry baskets designed so that the strawberries do not easily get squished.
- Pick only the berries that are fully red. Part the leaves with your hands to look for hidden berries ready for harvest.
- Pick the row clean. Remove from the plants berries showing rot, sunburn, insect injury or other defects and place them between the rows behind you. Berries to be used immediately may be picked any time, but if you plan to hold the fruit for a few days, try to pick in the early morning or on cool, cloudy days. Berries picked during the heat of the day become soft, and are easily bruised and will not keep well.
- Avoid placing the picked berries in the sun any longer than necessary. It is better to put them in the shade of a tree or shed than in the car trunk or on the car seat.
- Cool them as soon as possible after picking. Strawberries may be kept fresh in the refrigerator for three or more days, depending upon the initial quality of the berry. After a few days in storage, however, the fruit looses its bright color and fresh flavor and tend to shrivel.
How to Freeze Strawberries
Always rinse with hulls on, so berries donít get water logged or lose any vitamin content.
There are 2 basic ways to freeze your berries:
- With sugar- For every 4 cups of sliced berries, use ĺ cup of sugar letting stand a few minutes to let sugar dissolve. Bag and freeze immediately.
- Without sugar- Leave berries whole and freeze in single layer on a cookie sheet. Then slice or bag whole and return to freezer.
- No other pails will be allowed in our patch only 4L ice cream pails or our free 4L boxes
- You will be assigned a row with a flag; start picking at the flag and once you are done picking move the flag to where you finish.
U-pick raspberries are $4.50 per pound
"8 medium strawberries contain 50 calories, and strawberries are an excellent source of potassium, iron, Vitamin C, fibre and folate."
Use strawberries as soon after harvesting or purchasing as possible.Refrigerator storage does not improve the quality of fresh strawberries. Berries should not be left at room temperature for more than a few hours.
Warm temperatures cause a browning effect in strawberries.The pigments that make strawberries red, anthocyanin, are heat sensitive. They break apart and turn brown when exposed to heat. Strawberries also lose heat-sensitive Vitamin C during browning, heating and cooking.
Store unwashed berries loosely covered with plastic wrap in the coolest part of your refrigerator for two or three days at most. Do not wash berries until ready to use.
To wash, place berries in a colander and rinse under cold running water.Do not allow berries to set in water as they will lose colour and flavour.
After washing, remove the green cap with a plastic-tipped vegetable peeler or paring knife without removing any of the fruit.
Things To Do With Strawberries